Thursday, July 10, 2008

New beginning to a familiar setting

Spop 1, 2008 is now in the books and it was one to remember. So many changes have been made to the program, which made it easy to compare. To be honest, it's hard not to compare. At first my mind and my emotions were not congruent with how they were last year. Then, after talking to some returners (Phil and Jhust) about how their experiences were positive, it just HIT me. Why get caught up comparing the little things and remember what is the mission at hand. The mission this year, last year, and all the years prior is and was the same, to create a positive and accepting environment for the freshman so they can look forward to coming to UCI. Thats it! It isn't about making the craziest hall cheers or having a dance in Social Science Plaza (although parking lot pimping was legit). It's about BEING there for them. Whether it may be listening to their concerns about college, answering any questions they may have about scheduling, or just getting a sense of where they are coming from, we are there to BE with them. Thank you to everyone who helped me remember that.

To the hall of Sierra, I just want to thank you for teaching me so much and helping me remember that its about the interactions we have with people that makes this program so worthwhile. Continue to carry that SPOP 1 Sierra pride because I know I will. I can't thank you guys enough for an amazing 2 days. Be safe and good luck in all your en devours here at UCI. This isn't a "Goodbye" but its a "See You Later" because Goodbyes sound like we'll never see each other again and I definately do not want that.

Peace and Love

1 comment:

SuJ said...

for sure my friend. it's for the spoppers. comparing only makes our role more complicated and that's something i've figured out recently as well.