Thursday, July 24, 2008

Ode to Ma

The relationship between parents and children can be easily seen as dictator to subordinate. A relationship where the children listen and LISTEN to the direction of what their parents want them to go. Today for the first time in my relationship with my mom, she asked for advice and decided to LISTEN. I've always questioned my parent's methods of teaching me values and ethics but never had they asked me for my thoughts, my insight, and my perspective. It caught me off guard like it would any son who for 22 years formulated his own thoughts only for them to be muzzled. Why did she want advice now? Where is this coming from?

Then, it hit me. Our parents, at least mine, appear infallible and immune to the pressures of the outside world. However, with that image stripped away, they are just human. Humans who deal with emotions. Humans who feel pain. Humans who must endure in a time of chaos. Humans who FEEL. Their love may never be formulated in words, yet it can be seen in all they do. So it's time for this 22 year old to be thankful. And how will I express this thankfulness, Listen Act and Be. Be sensitive and in tune with how they FEEL.

No comments: